Do you only write cyberpunk?
Actually, I write what I feel like. To date that has included cyberpunk, space opera, dark fantasy, Western urban noir, and humorous crime.
Is it hard to get published?
It sure is. But don’t let that stop you. I didn’t. It only made me more determined. Just be prepared to work hard and grow crocodile skin.
Are you available for workshops and conventions?
I am very happy to attend conventions where I can and I try and make it to most panels, discussions and seminars that I am invited to participate in. I’m also available to run seminars, time permitting, on various topics including: So You Want To be a Writer? What Now?, A Writer’s Perspective on Agent’s and How to Become a Professional Writer. Some of my previous invited appearances include:
- Sisters in Crime: with Tara Moss and Emma Boling
- New Zealand National SF Convention: Australian Guest of Honour
- Supanova Pop Expo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney: Guest
- Thylacon (Australian National Science Fiction Convention): Guest of Honour
- Fandomedia: Interstate Guest of Honour
- Brisbane Writers Festival: Guest
- University of Queensland: Guest Lecturer
- Queensland Writers Centre: Events and Year of the Novel
Do you mentor other writers?
Yes, I have been involved in several mentoring programs both through the Queensland Writers Centre and Fantastic Queensland. I also try to privately mentor colleagues where time and opportunity presents.